View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Not so amused

I am not sure why anyone would criticize you. On top of the fact that it's your car and you can do as you please, you certainly seem to have paid your due diligence dues over the years with both your equipment purchases and your running repairs.

I, for one, view purity as a relative virtue, both in women and in automotive repairs.

You seem to have a handle on what you are doing. In the past, I have seen people snapped at for whining about not being able to make the system work with a manual control valve they pulled off a Toyota and a long piece of string. Hardly the case with what you have written so far.

I owned a '79 300sd for eight years and only had to do two minor repairs on the Type II, and never the servo. This lulled me into a false sense of confidence in the system. Having bought a 1980 300td many years later has taken care of that.

If you do come up with a replicable solution that at least provides basic airflow and temperature controls at less hassle than doing a complete manual control system (240d) transplant, I will be standing at the head of the line of those who wish to copy it.

I do encourage you to take photographs where practical, if you are able, and if you want to share this later.

Mac
2002 e320 4matic estate│1985 300d│1980 300td
Previous: 1979 & 1982 & 1983 300sd │ 1982 240d

“Let's take a drive into the middle of nowhere with a packet of Marlboro lights and talk about our lives.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22