View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by my83300cd View Post
I'd be looking at the wall between the laundry and the kitchen- the laundry has lots of windows, the kitchen one. The laundry appears to have the door to the rear yard, and if it was all one large kitchen, it would be big enough to be eat in. Whats the sill height at the windows? Tall enough for counters underneath? If too low, nice place for a table and chairs. Is the kitchen window sill high? Can the kitchen counter be U shaped along that wall, the back wall and the wall to the dining room?

The rooms are small- what about a galley kitchen with counter against kitchen wall with window, with sink, range, dishwasher and fridge packed into it, and an island between the kitchen and the laundry room built to take the washer/dryer? That would provide a good work surface- for both cooking and laundry folding.
The laundry room is actually an enclosed back porch. There used to be a door, which you can still see when looking at the washer. The door came into the dining room. The door from the kitchen to the laundry room used to be a window, and there's another window closer to the exterior door, which is covered up.

The wall between the kitchen and laundry room is a support wall as well, supporting my son's bedroom and the bathroom.

Because of how the back end of the house was added after initial construction, altering the walls would create more work than it's worth. The laundry room floor slopes off to the side about 1.5 inches, towards the windows. It's supported by a rock wall foundation that has sunk a bit over the years. If I were to do as you suggest, I'd have to lift the floor and resupport it with a proper system underneath before I could open supporting walls...the house isn't worth that much of an investment.

I'll draw the upper level later this week, followed by the basement, and post those in such a way that you can see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler=Better View Post
Hey, that's great! Most people spend that much on a car these days
We thought so as well. The house has charm, even if it doesn't have a decent flow to it. The lack of closet and storage place has caused a bit of a problem for us, one that we are remedying by selling some items, and giving others away. It's a minimalists house, by no means made for the modern times and modern appliances...but it's got charm and warmth.

...And we don't own a dime on it.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.