View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
User title not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
I have a co-worker who ordered a bunch of heat resistant insulation from mcmaster carr, his 05 corollas odo stopped at 400,000/- the guy simply added this insulation to the firewall and engine room area - even on the hood, it looks like a generator engine room now - all shiny etc.

the other bit that makes the corolla super noisy is the wheel wells - all 4 of them are in the cabin, insulate them with heavy suppressor.

The doors also resonate at high speed, you would need to check the vapor barriers and even apply some thin foam on it too.

btw - the engine mounts also cause a lot of noise to be transmitted to the cab. along with the front subframe mountings.
Thanks for the information. I just Googled McMaster-Carr.

How do you define "high speed"? We rarely go over 70...

If the engine mounts/subframe bushings were the main culprits, would we feel vibration along with the noise? The car really doesn't vibrate at all below ~3500 RPM..
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."