View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Re. tapping the filter lid on 617's I recall reading somewhere in this forum that pressure can be read when the oil is cold but with hot oil, pressure went to near zero. Is that true?
I tested My oil pressure on My 84 300D with fitting drilled into the Oil Filter Lid and you get the same pressure there you do at the Gauge; hot or cold. Except that the Test Gauge had a range of over 3 Bar.

I put My Oil Pressure Alarm sending unit where the Test Gauge was hooked up and My Bypass Oil Filter Oil inlet line is connected to the Center of the Oil Filter Lid/Cap. Both get Oil pressure all of the time.

From post #7 of this thread:
Here is my previous thread on a low oil pressure alarm. One member objected to tapping into the top of the oil filter top coverer so if you do not want to do that you will have to find someplace else to tap into the oil pressure. Mine system is a “bare bones” type system. The buzzer sounds until the oil pressure is up above that of the sending unit is set at. There may be another places to get the (+) current from that is only connected when the ignition is in the “run” position but I have not taken the time to look at the wiring diagrams or poked around with my tester to find it. So mine buzzes until the oil pressure is up.
The easiest thing would be to put to put in as switch that would open the circuit while your thumb pushes on the button if you do not want to hear the sound during starting.
But, if your alarm dose not sound during starting how will you know a wire did not come loose or break? You would start up and go thinking your alarm is working.

A new sending unit and a buzzer from Radio Shack should not cost that much.
Another question is how much amperage can go through the sending unit? For instance; a back up alarm for a cars, truck and forklifts could be used and they are certainly loud enough but would the amps pulled burn out the sensor?
Low oil pressure alarm for 617.952