View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, you have a place locally that will neuter for 33 dollars. Yes? That's a good deal for tomcats and a smokin' deal if they charge the same for queens. Females require internal surgery, males don't.
They'll only do two at a time? Great. Do two at a time. The ear cut makes sense, and won't hurt them. The average intact tom gets his ears ripped up fighting in no time anyhow.
Feral kittens can be socialized once removed from their wild mothers fairly easily. There may be rescue organizations in your area. They have volunteer foster people who take in the kittens, socialize them and get them ready for adoption.
As far as traps go, Havahart is the only choice in my opinion. You might call your local state game and fish department. They'll often have traps to loan out to people who are having issues with nuisance wildlife.
Cats become trapsmart real fast. One cat watches another fall for a trap, you 'll never get that first one anywhere near a trap. It's my opinion that anyone who elects to feed a feral cat has the obligation to see that the animal is neutered, or eliminated.
I was confused about How many Cats. The Clinic will only Fix 2 Feral Cats each pre Day (if they do more it is at the descression of the Vet). As an example this means if 3 People bring in 1 Cat to be fixed. The first 2 people will for sure get their Cats Fixed. The 3rd Person has to wait and see if the Doctor will accept another Cat.
The above happend to Me the first time I went. I was #3; I wated for about an hour till the Vet came in and they took the Cat.

The Lady that was a head of Me with 2 Cats told Me what to do for the Trap Shy Cats. She said to use Tuna with Oil as a bait. That worked for Me also as I have one Cat that runs from Me all of the Time and it was only walking around the Trap when I put the regular food in. Also don't feed them so they are hungry enough to go in the Trap. (The Cat that runs from Me I call Runner. It had gotten traped inside of My Van for 1-1/2 days and I did not know it till I opened the Door. It also managed to Kill a Battery as in trying to get out it turned on the Parking Lights.)

As long as you make sure to tell them they are Farel Cats the charge is less than $33.
The 2 Cats that I have taken so far were Female and both of them were Pregnant.
So the charge is the same for Male or Female and pregnant Females. A regular Vet charges more if the Cat is pregnant.

The also do the same for Dogs but I don't know if the Charge is the same.

On the Internet there was a claim that there is places that will do the fixing for free. But, as I said I picked the closest one to Me and was OK with the $33.
However, it uses up some time as you need to get there before 8am and be back to pick the Cat up 2-4pm and they only do the Feral Animals M-F but that is in My area.