Thread: 99 E320 4Matic
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 09:16 PM
I have a 2000 E320 4matic with 50,000 km.. I bought it used after trading in my '98 E320. with 75,000 km. My experience has been that the V6 and transmission have been very good. As for the 4matic, I had the transfer case in mine replaced at 35,000 km. I'm quite sure it never ever would have broken down but there was too much play it that felt like driveline slop especially on downshift or going from reverse into drive. It was only noticable after the trannie was well warmed up so I didn't notice it until a week or so after I purchased the car. I was on a long distance trip when it started to annoy me and three diferent dealers said it was normal. Eventually I took it too my selling dealer and the general manager agreed with no hesitation that it was at the far end of acceptability and replaced it. Now it drives like a rear wheel drive model and it's great. I think the car is terrific but check for driveline clunk from reverse to drive when trannie is hot, if it's excessive it will drive you nuts when downshifting from 2 to 1 at every stop. Hope this helps. JT.