Thread: A great loss...
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Conservative

A great loss...

DOD: Kettering man dies in Afghanistan | www.whiotv.com

Quote:
KETTERING —
A Kettering man died March 16 while serving his fourth deployment in Afghanistan for the United States Army, the Department of Defense announced Sunday.
Chief Warrant Officer James E. Groves III, 37, died in Kandahar, Afghanistan. According to the Department of Defense, he was assigned to 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Hunter Army Airfield.
The incident remains under investigation.
A Kiowa pilot, Chief Warrant Officer Groves joined the Army in August 2001 and arrived at the unit in June 2009. His awards include the Air Medal.
No further information has been made available.
I just found out about this last night...and I'm still in a state of shock. My wife and I were able to enjoy lunch with Jim and his wife at Uncle Bubba's last July in Savannah, GA when we went down for my job interview.

Jim and my younger brother were close friends as kids. I dated Jim's sister throughout high school and remain close friends with her and her family over the years.

He is what you could call an oddity of sorts. Both of his parents and his sister are white, while he's black. He wasn't adopted...there was African-American blood on both sides of the family, a number of generations back. We guessed that the cards were dealt in such a way that the gene for his skin color was most dominate when he came to be. Because of him and his family, I learned a lot about biology and genetics...Like I said, an oddity of sorts.

Jim leaves behind a wife and two sons...and many friends and family that are hurting right now.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.