View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
G'day Folks,

Google has failed me so far (but I'm still searching).

I need to build a garden gate really cheaply to improve the first impressions of the house so I can sell it with greater ease - well that's the plan - I'm doing a house doctor on the place and I need to cheer up the front.

Impregnated soft wood seems to be the cheapest and chunkiest stuff I can buy locally. It is the sort of stuff that has a yucky dirty slightly green hue to it. To improve the looks of this material I'd have to paint it with a white stain (it would then match in with the veranda I built last summer).

I'm a bit concerned that the yucky green pressure goo will come out like a rash on the finished product.

Has anyone got any experience with painting this cheapo junk wood?
I just recently did this with a porch I modified, that was having pretty continuous rot problems.
I restructured the deck from a screen in porch to a railed porch, and built all the railings with treated lumber.

The biggest thing you need to do is wait at least a few weeks for the treated lumber to weather a bit, then go in and paint. When its fresh and green, it could cause paint issues, but if you wait a few weeks (I waited about 3), it turns brown and it no longer feels damp to the touch, at which point it really holds the paint well.

I painted the whole porch last year and its been fine since, no issues at all yet.
The paint makes it look really good, a huge difference in the treated lumber appearance