View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 AM
New England Hick

It's 3/21-Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

As many of you know, my 10 yo middle son was born with Down syndrome. While I can see why many wouldn't understand how having a child Ds would be something to celebrate, I can honestly say he was the best thing to ever happen to me. And I'm not alone. For that very reason, those of us with kids or family members with Ds, view World Down Syndrome Day as a special day. The date was chosen because Ds is a result of a third copy of the 21st chromosome.

I'm so very proud of his accomplishments, the way he "touches" and changes people, the way he treats everyone the same way regardless of appearance (walking over and giving a big biker-looking dude a high five at a basketball game for ex.), the way he makes me appreciate the milestones my other kids attain (I'm embarrassed to say I took a lot of that for granted before he was born ), how every kid in his school knows his name and he knows theirs. While there are many stereotypes about the kind, loving and gentle nature of kids and folks with Ds, and on balance they probably tend to be more so than not, they are just like everyone else and have their own personalities.

This link goes to an ESPN E:60 segment called Perfect (just a heads up that it is just over 14 min.). It emotionally recounts the transformation of a father by the birth of his daughter, who happens to have Ds. While I never got to the same point as the father, I did ride that same emotional roller coaster with very much the same outcome. Our kids have changed us for the better.

I love you, Garrett. I'm a better person and our community is a better place because of you. It's indeed a day to celebrate.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)