View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Benz addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal220 View Post
Thanks for this, I appreciate your thoughts.

The issue with jacking up from the differential has to do with rubber mounts that MB differentials are sometimes mounted to, and the risk of damaging them. See this thread for a bit of conversation regarding the problem. I'm not sure if I need to worry about this with my W115 so I was hoping someone might chime in.
Jacking the car at the rear by the dif is an accepted means of raising the car.

The diff mount is the same on the W114, W115, W123, W107, W126 cars up to 1985.

I've owned many of these cars over the last thirty years, and so has my extended family. I have never seen an instance where damage was caused due to jacking on the dif.

Regards to placement, I like to use a pair on the "frame" and a pair under the suspension, as it's unlikely that you will raising the car on a surface that is perfectly flat. If you use the "frame" for all 4 jackpoints, the car will a tendency to rock on the stands and one of the jackstands will be supporting much less than 25% of the weight. This introduces an element of instability to the setup.

I also give the car several hard shoves from front to back and side to side to give me confidence that the jackstands are going to shift once I am under the car.

If you are not working on the wheels and they are remaining on the car, the ramps will work. Jack up the end of the car and place the ramps under the tires in opposite directions, one facing forward, the other aft. Very secure means of supporting the car.

Be safe,

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles