View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Benz addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
Looks like I am not going to find a pump or rebuild kit for a 220S fuel pump. What is the procedure for installing an electric pump? I'm kinda dense when it comes to abstract so I like pictures and diagrams. I haven't found a page for this, but maybe I don't know how to look.
Are there instructions for replacing a mechanical fuel pump with an electric pump?
Thanks,
David

Likely the same as my M130 carb engine.

Fuel pump has two hoses, a gozinta and a gozouta.

Run new longer hoses from the feed pipes to the electric pump, which you have already mounted to the inner fender. A generic electronic pump will do. It's been a while, but I think that the euro spec for a fuel pump is a slightly higher PSI output. Not sure if it's significant, in my case the carbs have an overflow line returning to the tank, so fuel back pressure is not an issue.

Wire the pump so that the power is switched on and off by the ignition. I wired in a relay and used the + side of the coil to trigger the relay.

It's a good idea to install an inertia switch inline with the power to the pump to shut off the pump in case of an accident. Otherwise, the pump will continue to run if you come to an unexpected stop. I recall the fuel pump on my old 300SEL 6.3 did NOT have such an item, you be the judge.

Jim
85 300TD 4 spd man, euro bumpers and lights, 15" Pentas dark blue 274k miles