View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM

You may have to get into tech literature. The rate of burn of various fuels is differant. The diesel presents a longer lasting burn period than a gas engine I believe. Strange but cylinder four seems to be the only primary culprit now. Probably will have to be dealt with.

I always suggested and thought that the engine be at operating temperatures for the milli volt readings. I also forgot it was operating on waste motor oil instead of waste vegatable oil as well.

Just as a curiosity do you read the acidic level of used motor oil before using it? If it is acidic buffering it would be easy and cheap. I thought sulfuric acid could be encountered in used motor oil. At what concentration is unknown to me if true. Cheap ph strips could enable a simple test.

Your possibilities seem less complex now. Make sure to correct the initial pump timing or verify it is late. If so after correction if it is retarded just bringing the number four cylinders milli volt readings into line . The injection pump is almost certain to be retarded as with that much milli volt differance you should hear that cylinder knocking on diesel fuel with the correct timing.

That is providing the glow plugs are putting out equal outputs for the heat they are experiencing. The answer for the number three cylinders carbon lacking issue now seems lost. Your new voltages are more like what to expect with the timing pretty close in general though. But there are varients like idle speed etc that can tweek them as well. Enough people have not used the milli volt system on the 616 and 617 diesels for us to get any form of really well established baselines yet.

At what concentration

Last edited by barry12345; 04-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.