View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volker View Post
FWIW, many cars (e.g. 1990's GM) have ball joints of this design riveted to the control arm, and the SOP is to drill rivets and replace ball joint, re-installing using nuts and bolts, even with the OEM's spare part and service information ("step 1 drill out rivets...")

So I see no issue with doing so on an MB...

as for lifespan... if original BJ lasted 200 000 miles for example. are you really going to drive another 200 000 miles? That is a lot of driving and a lot of time especially on an old car.
I take your point, Volker. As I mentioned above though, this is NOT the SOP for Mercedes Benz. They claim the entire control arm must be replaced. And I have the FSM for this vehicle. Mercedes DOES NOT offer just an upper ball joint, they sell the control arm and joint as a complete unit only. Thus, these replacement joints are not in any true sense OEM... they are not riveted, the design is different, etc...

Your point on the lifespan is precisely where my question and all the uncertainty lies. I have read several posts mentioning failed ball joints and boots after less that 10k miles or a year or two. Even with "OEM" parts like Lemfoerder.

I've also heard reports of the upper ball joint bolts not seating tightly in the rivet holes, and thus allowing the entire joint to shift on the control arm under load, throwing out your alignment.

All these variables are what brought me to post this question. I do take note that it may be SOP for GM.