View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
A car is the sum-total of its parts. If the parts are junk, the car is junk.

What a waste. Indeed, there are those who feel that Yurro is as good as OE, and one cannot reason with them. I don't fault the owners so much, in today's economy people want to save a buck, and Yurro fits that bill nicely in our "good enough" world.

I have the biggest problem with SHOP OWNERS who knowingly foist this parts-drivel on their unsuspecting customers, yet charge them factory (or moderately discounted) prices for it, in the interest of maximizing THEIR profits. In the case of Yurro flex discs, and perhaps other parts, it's actually a safety hazard for customers.
I don't hold the owners blameless, Gerry.

As much as I try to avoid mechanics who knowingly use inferior methods and parts, I do think the problem starts with owners who are so interested in saving a buck that they are willing to look the other way when Mechanic 'A' says he can do the job for 50% less than Mechanic 'B'. It leaves the mechanic in a difficult position, and it takes strong character to resist the temptation to use cheaper parts in order to compete. Finding mechanics with that kind of character isn't easy, but it's doable.

Ultimately, we, as consumers, are responsible for the most part for what we get back from our mechanics, indeed all of our service people.

If we opt for the cheaper estimate, without asking why, without insisting on the use of parts that meet the standard intended by the original designer, then, what we get back is what we deserve. IMHO, as consumers we place far too much importance on lowest price, and not nearly enough on value. But, then again, value is subjective, and everybody gets to decide on their own where they draw the line. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for consumers that demand the lowest price, then complain about poor quality.

My $0.02.
1999 Mazda Miata in the fun stable
1964 E-Type Jaguar Coupe- Sold
1970 E-Type Jaguar Coupe- Sold
1968 Corvair Monza Conv. with Turbo Transplant- Sold
1986 Merkur Xr4ti- abandoned
various mundane American autos

If I'd known then what I know now...

Hell, I'd probably still have done it anyways.