View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBabyBenz View Post
I don't hold the owners blameless, Gerry.

As much as I try to avoid mechanics who knowingly use inferior methods and parts, I do think the problem starts with owners who are so interested in saving a buck that they are willing to look the other way when Mechanic 'A' says he can do the job for 50% less than Mechanic 'B'. It leaves the mechanic in a difficult position, and it takes strong character to resist the temptation to use cheaper parts in order to compete. Finding mechanics with that kind of character isn't easy, but it's doable.

Ultimately, we, as consumers, are responsible for the most part for what we get back from our mechanics, indeed all of our service people.

If we opt for the cheaper estimate, without asking why, without insisting on the use of parts that meet the standard intended by the original designer, then, what we get back is what we deserve. IMHO, as consumers we place far too much importance on lowest price, and not nearly enough on value. But, then again, value is subjective, and everybody gets to decide on their own where they draw the line. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for consumers that demand the lowest price, then complain about poor quality.

My $0.02.
True - I know a guy who I use sometimes for stuff when my hand/arm is suffering (carpal Im told), I see customers rolling in and wanting the lowest buck payment regardless of quality. e.g. this guy prefers to use NAPA suspension parts for average cars because they are pretty good built. Customers dont want to hear or know anything about any build quality etc, they just want the lowest possible bill no matter if they have to foot it twice in a year.

most such customers usually are the first to hand over the keys to him and taxi to the KIA store and buy an installment loan car.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)