View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 PM

I did not have any left over parts. The parts pictured are a flex disk bolt, timming tensioner nut/cap, and a head bolt. I did this because everyone hears of the stories about finishing a project and having extra parts which did not happen to me. So I picked a few extremely important parts to have fun with. (68_280SE was correct on two of them. "Two out of three ain't bad.")

The crazy thing about the crankshaft was at first I believed it had just a big crack, on one of the counter weights, because the car worked but with a loud noise from the engine until I parked it in my shop.
Metric Motors informed me, from just a photo of the the crackshaft through the oil pan, that the engine was running very rich and was the probably of the shaft failure. I was lucky with other damage. It was only a broken shaft and a very small amount of wear on the bearing in front of the break which had a small amount of shavings.
Surprisingly replacing the crank shaft is not as difficult as you might think. As long as you have a engine hoist and stand it can be done.

68 280 SE coupe 'Hairball'
70 280 SL
71 280 SEL - RIP May 2010