View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
meh. I've got a press...

much easier.
pump pump pump. POP! done.

mine is a cheapo 150.00 12 ton unit... I think they are 169 now. of course, you need a spring compressor also.
Seems illogical that it could be "much easier" if the alternative method involves the additional steps including compressing the spring, disconnecting the front sway bar, marking the LCA eccentric bolt positions in order to restore them to their original position, removing the two eccentrics and the LCA and then repeating all those additional steps upon reassembly.

I have two tools for R&Ring the 201/124/129 ball joints a screw type press made by Baum and a hydraulic powered tool from Germany, once the wheel carrier is separated the old ball joint can be removed in a minute or two and the new one installed in a minute or two, the wheel carrier reinstalled and shock reconnected in 5 or 10 minutes at the most.

I think this DIY four screw tool is probably a bit slower because one needs to turn four nuts as opposed to a single screw, but because there is less related parts disconnected it seems quicker and less work than removing the entire LCA would define "much easier".