View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
diesel enthusiast

next project

Some of you might remember my initial reaction when I inspected this car last year --- there was a STRONG diesel smell inside the car. And when I opened the trunk, it almost knocked me down. I initially thought there was a leak in the tank.....then I discovered the fuel door compartment drain tube was disconnected. I reconnected the drain tube, cleaned the trunk really good, and the smell disappeared. So, if the tank really had a leak in it.....it would continue to leak in the trunk, right? I inspected the one screw hole and it does not appear to go all the way thru the tank. After driving this car a bit, I smelled diesel again in the trunk. I guess there are micro fissures at the hole.

So....time to replace the fuel tank. We all know a fuel tank without a hole in it is impossible to find in a pull a part place --- they all PUNCTURE a BIG hole in the tank to drain them. Luck was with me last year, when I found a 300D fuel tank up in the Nashville, Indiana, area. I bought it. Of course, the chore was going to pick it up.

This past Thursday, I made the drive up. I retrieved the fuel tank.

I hooked up a hose to the fuel return port off of the secondary filter (where the cigar hose connects) and routed it to an empty 5 gallon fuel can Saturday afternoon. Started the car up. I knew I didn't have very much fuel in the tank.....but the fuel really doesn't flow very fast out of the fuel return when car is at idle. After about 1.5-2 gallons were in the fuel can, I noticed no fuel was being returned. Hmmm...... I turned the key off and removed the fuel sender. It wasn't wet. Hmmmm...... Did I almost run out of fuel? I proceeded to remove the tank vent rubber hose connection and the fuel return line off the bottom of the tank. I had very little diesel dribble from the fuel return line. Hmmmm........ Disconnected the fuel strainer hose and was prepared for the diesel bath, but again, just a dribble. Did I really get that lucky? Well, I hooked up a hose to the fuel strainer hose to allow it to drip into an oil change pan while I went inside to watch basketball. Next day (Sunday), there's very little diesel in the oil change pan, so I try to unscrew the rubber hose under the fuel strainer --- the entire fuel strainer wants to come out. Okay....prepared for the diesel bath, but alas, no gush of diesel. The tank was literally almost empty. I pulled out the old tank and found these rubber pieces on the bottom. Ordered replacements this morning from Pelican Parts.

I also order a new rubber seal for the fuel strainer and a bunch of other rubber pieces.

Upon careful inspect of the replacement tank, I found a little rust around the fuel return and the place the tank vent are connected on the bottom. I treated it was rust convertor yesterday. Pics later.

Also found some interesting "rub" spots on the tank and the inside of the car. I'm going to add some foam cushion in this area to prevent any rubbing with the replacement tank. Pics later.

Links:
Sold last car --- 05/2012 1984 300D Light Ivory, Red interior
Cluster Needles Paint
New Old Stock (NOS) parts

Past:
3/2008 1986 300SDL "Coda"
04/2010 1965 190D(c) "Ben"
& many more