View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 AM

319l Starter problem (m121-941)

Hello,

Would anyone happen to have a 1966 319l (gas M121-941) starter just "laying" around.....

I have a 1966 319l Mercedes Camper. I bought this 319 restoration project from the previous owner in 2007 with the motor partially "re-assembled." This is a project that was discussed here way back in the 2002-2004(?) time frame by the previous owner. He was in the process of rebuilding the motor.... He gave up on the project to pursue another (Stanley Steamer). Now I think I understand why he moved on....

The 319 is a combination of passenger car and MBZ heavier duty drivetrain components...There were "extra" parts that came with this vehicle when I bought it. Unfortunately it looks like not all are compatible, or were for this vehicle..., namely the starter...

The 319's motor type is M121-941.
I just finished the motor re-assembly, and installation in the 319 chassis.

Now the problem: The starter is not meshing correctly to the flywheel. I believe I have a starter compatibility issue..... Of course this would have been easier to sort out when the engine was still on the engine stand!!!

The starter model should be "Bosch EED 0.8/12 R32 with right hand drive R31" per a service doc I have. That is NOT the starter I have.

The Bosch starter I have, and used is "Bosch AL/EEF 0.8/12 R7." I did not realize this may be an incorrect part...until after my investigation...

A starter spacer is indicated in the parts book for the 319 starter. I have that 9mm spacer, and used it. The pinion does not appear to be meshing fully into the flywheel because of that spacer? Although difficult to now access, I did some measurements. The solenoid is working and pushing the pinion gear the full throw..... The pinion gear has 9 teeth and a width of 25 mm. Not sure of the number of teeth on the flywheel... I probably should count them to make sure of the correct ring gear. At this point, I am not going to ASSUME anything...

Removing the spacer, corrects for the throw, but NOT the mismatch in starter diameter and backplate hole? The spacer appears to have 2 functions, namely position and center the starter. The spacer is 9 mm thick, and has an additional thickness to take up the 4mm gap.

I think I could machine a sleeve to take up the diameter mismatch, but I would have to make sure it wouldn't be displaced. Anyone run into this problem, or just happen to have a 1966 319 starter motor as a door stop...I would be interested... By the way...the OM621 diesel starter does not appear to be compatible..

Thanks in advance

Paul