View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
80 240D didn`t have the EGR, HMMMM....wonder if the engine was replaced with a later one and they left the EGR stuff on the manifolds?
If it does have it, there will be the vacuum thingy/Switch over valve what ever it is on the inner R/F fender and some vacuum lines.

Is yours an Automatic transmission? that would be a cause for the slowness and the quick forward movement compared to a manual trans.

Have you read about the 4 brake light mod? If you notice, one red light on each side does not light up. next time you are in the yards, take a tail light assy apart and remove the sockets. (W123, W123 doesn`t matter) squeeze the black tabs on each end of the metal strip and it will lift out. squeeze the tabs on each socket you want and they come out, then cut the wires. use the longest ones.

Wire these into your assy, and solder the wires to your existing brake wire. you will now have 4 brake lights. really lights up the rear of the car.

Brake Light Upgrade on w123

Here is a picture of MBEIGE car with the lights.
My centermost taillights don't work

There was also the brighter brake bulb upgrade.
$6 brighter W126 brake lights

I bought some door seals off e-bay several years ago, got all excited because of the cheap price. bought them for the 123 and the 126.
I discovered E-Bay, this was way before I discovered the Forum. and got all excited to the availability of MB Parts.
some of you will remember BIG-Babbo on E-bay and bought a bunch of stuff from him.

I installed both front door seals on the 85, and they both leak water going through a car wash (can`t hurt the paint finish, it`s bad anyway) or when washing it at home. also some wind noise. so it`s going to be dealer seals next time. they are pricier for sure, but all depends on how long you want to keep the car.

These new radios suck trying to figure out how to operate them. so many graphics, flashing lights and buttons so small I`d run off the road trying to get my eyes focused on them.
When we got the 85 300D that damn thing used 1/2 the owners manual just to operate it. I now have a Becker Cassett Europa in both cars. very simple on/off knob, and a knob that moves the needle/indicator. no numbers to remember for the station etc.... you are right, it is a generational thing. I know that look they give you, like a Deer in the Head Lights look......

Now if I could only find a new Manual Antenna. the 80 240 came with one, and I bought a after market Chicom replacement that was suppose to fit. made way different, and the antenna Coax is a different fitting.

I didn`t replace the rear window seal ........yet. cheapest dealer one I can find is our dealer in Monterey. $133.00 if I buy it online, or it is $167.00 over the counter. ( www.benzpartswholesale.com Dealer site.) I think Pelican has it for $146.50.

Charlie

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works