View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Ghost of Diesels Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDblU View Post

1 Nobody seems to have anything about removing the arv valve. I removed the line and capped them both but am wondering if I would benefit from just removing the entire valve or if I even can do such a thing?
Leave it, once it is disabled vacuum wise it will not function.

Quote:
2 The oil separator in the air filter housing... I know it serves a purpose but can I replace that with a catch can?
Clearly it serves a purpose, so leave it. I do hope you didn't replace your factory air filter set up for a piece of dryer hose and a K&N filter

I only ask the last question because I am rather determined to make a new intake and put the filter behind the headlight on the passenger sid where the intake tube feeding the current housing is. I will make a heatshield... I dont want to do this for performance per say I just find where the current one is to be incredibly inconvenient for working on anything or even looking to see that things are in proper order.
The factory air filter is far superior to anything. There is no reason to remove it to see that "things are in proper order" The only thing below it is a turbo that rarely has issues.

Quote:
3 Exhaust wise, when making the downpipe I could not find anyone that made something to come off the turbo and go to exhaust pipe without the use of that giant steel flange originally used... Is there perhaps a lighter weight alternative to that or something more simple,? I simply fear with having my supports too far back that could be a heavy item supported by too little.
There is not an alternative.

Quote:
4 Currently still have the hose off the banjo bolt to the manifold hooked up as I had nothing to plug it with. I know this seems obvious but I can put a boost gauge there correct? follow up what would i need to get the sensor in there? does anyone know the pitch and such?
You can use the threaded hole the banjo bolt threaded into to put a fitting to run a line to a boost gauge. Take the bolt to a hardware store and see what the thread is and then get the proper fitting and such. Traditional boost gauges run off of pressure so you run a line from the manifold to the gauge.

Quote:
Simple one, now that the alda is gone can I remove the switchover valve completely? Want to remove as many things as possible really to clean up engine bay a bit and reduce possibility of vacuum leaks.
You can, however, a properly maintained vacuum system will not leak. Removing things just takes the easy way out and makes a wonderful headache down the line.