View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzdude42 View Post
the other day i was sitting in a drive through and my car got up to about 100-105c, in need of a coolant flush, and i noticed that my oil pressure gauge was jumping up and down pretty fast. i was wondering if this means its going out or that my oil pressure is really jumping around. this is a mechanical gauge btw.
You did not say if the Oil Pressure fluctuation was at idle or higher rpms?

You 84 300SD I believe has an Electronic Oil Pressure Gauge. If so the Sending Unit will be at the bottom rear of the Oil filter Housing.

A fluctuating Gauge could be a symptom of a loose connection at the Sending Unit or a Sending Unit going bad.
It could actually be the Sending Unit and the Gauge are working OK and you are really having an Oil Pressure issue.

If Oil Pressure issue is happening at Idle it could be the two 6mmIDx10mmODx2mmW O-rings at the bottom of the Oil Filter Tube need to be changes or something is trapped in the Spring loaded Valve inside of that Tube and keeping the Valve open.

Compress Air can be blown through the little hole at the top of the Oil Filter Cap Tube to try to blow out anything in the Valve at the bottom of the Tube.
The O-rings can simply be replaced.

When you have Oil Pressure issues the ideal thing to have would be a Test Gauge that you can hook up to verify what the Oil Pressure really is. But, you need to fabricate the set up for that.
Also the Oil Pressure on your Engine has the possiblity of being as high as 110 psi.