View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM

Removing transistorized ignition - 71 250C (M130)

With having so many ignition issues over the last year, I've decided to get the 123 Ignition as I could never get the right Pertronix module to work with my distributor. As part of the 123 ignition installation, I've decided to remove the tranzistorized module (switching unit), the original coil and all of the ballasts and replaced them with a red Bosch coil. Since the new set-up will resemble the ignition set-up of pre-emissions models with the 2.8L M130 engine, I have a few questions:

1. When trying to set the static timing, before I remove the original distributor, what static timing should it be set to since the factory spec no longer applies due to the tranzistorized set-up being removed?

2. When turning the engine to find the static point, I am assuming that it needs to be turned in a clockwise direction when standing in front of the car, facing the engine? And what is the easiest way to turn it - socket on the crank bolt, or?

3. What are the correct timing specs for the 2.8L M130 engine with the non-tranzistorized set-up? I also really don't feel comfortable setting timing at 4,500 rpm so is there a measure at lower rpm that will work?

Finally, if there is anyone out there who has installed the 123 Ignition on their M130, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

M