View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
I'm not aware of any fuel leaking problems with these engines as an inherent design flaw.
I finally found the reference I was speaking about. It pertains to the 300sl engine (M198?) which I do realize is similar but not the same as the M127/M180. I was under the impression that the same issues held true, at least for the early W111 cars like mine, #69, that used the earliest versions of the Mechanical Fuel Injection and not the electric version. I certainly could be wrong but this was my reasoning behind the fuel in my oil.

From the Wikipedia 300 SL page:
"The engine's maintenance requirements were high. Unlike the current electrically powered fuel injection systems, the mechanical fuel pump would continue to inject gasoline into the engine during the interval between shutting off the ignition and the engine's coming to a stop; this gasoline was of course not burned, and washed the oil from the cylinder walls and ended up diluting the engine's lubricating oil, particularly if the engine was not driven hard enough nor long enough to reach a temperature high enough to evaporate it out of the oil.

Exacerbating the problem were the large oil cooler as well as the large volume of oil (10 liters), both oriented more to racing than to street driving, which virtually guaranteed that the oil would not reach a high enough temperature. In practice, many street drivers would block off airflow through the oil cooler, and the recommended oil change interval was 1,000 miles (1,600 km)."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SideSmall.jpg

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs) official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook
MotoArigato: Roadworthy News & Humor