View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Vintage Moderator

I used Peak green antifreeze in the MB as well as the Jeep. It's good quality and it was $10/gal @ Target for the full-strength formula so it was cheap compared to say G05 which I use in my 300M and Charger and is ~2x the cost. About 6 years later and it's still green in the Jeep with no discoloration (but I don't drive it much either).

I assume you need oil. You can use conventional... I always did... but synthetic would be better. The problem is unless you redid all of your engine seals, synthetic will clean everything so well it'll pour out of every crack. 10w30 is probably ideal. Some recommend thicker oil but... read Putting the Simple Back into Viscosity - Bob is the Oil Guy. Educate yourself and decide for yourself. I use synthetic 5w30 in my 196k 300M and my Jeep 178k now. 4-5k between changes (5k 300M, 4k Jeep); I use Pennzoil plat or ultra in the 300M and Valvoline or whatever syn is cheapest in the Jeep.

Set your points gap before timing and set both before touching mixture or idle settings. Make sure the ignition systems (Points, cap, rotor wires etc) are all good before bothering with doing any of it or you'll be doing it again.

I set my timing 5° ATDC on it but preferred more around TDC for feel of throttle (this is with vac) especially with the higher-compression 3.5 heads I put on. Plus it seemed to cut down on pinging.

I would suggest keeping the valve covers off at first, put a towel on the exhaust manifolds, and making sure oil pees out of the cam oiler holes before doing actual starting. Don't crank with the plugs out & D-Jet trigger points plugged in, you will get gas dilution in the oil. Unplug the D-Jet harness from the points so your injectors don't fire.

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k