View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 10:27 PM
Hilton Smith

TClanton, I just read all the posts on this thread and the thread by 79MBZ, and I would like to share with you that selling a car can be frustrating. Every seller's situation is different, but ultimately, all other things being equal, he must decide how much the car will bring in the market place. The single biggest factor is time. The size of the market for the particular car as determined by the popularity/appeal/desirability of the particular model which affect the time required to sell as well as the price. If you want to sell quick or in the very near term or span of a month or so, you may have to almost give it away, especially in this economy, if it is not a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. If you have the time and patience, you can get a fair price for a car.

I sold my son's 93 Accord and my Mother-in-law's 92 Accord this past summer within a month and got KBB private party value plus about 17%.

I also spent three months scouring the Southeast to find a replacement for my son's Accord - a 98 Explorer sport with 47K miles for KBB trade-in value.

I just sold a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine that took me a year to get 75% of my original asking price.

I got earnest money yesterday on a 1966 Mustang 6 cyl that has been advertised for about a year. I came down $100 off my asking price.

Last spring I sold a 1969 Mustang coupe with a new interior, after rebuilding a 351 Cleveland engine with new pistons, rings, bearings, one step up cam, lifters, rockers, timing chain, and new valves. The car sold for the asking price within one month.

I have a 96 C280 posted here that I may be asking too much for, but my take on the economy now is that cars are slow, Large cars even slower. I contemplated ebay, but my obervations are that MB's are attracting many bidders on ebay.

I'm not a dealer, just retired and trying to clean out my garage. The 66 Mustang about cleans it out except for a 82 Toyota work truck with 80K miles whose value to me as a spare vehicle and occasional hauler far exceeds what it would bring in the market place.

I hope you have already sold your MB.

Hilton Smith