View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Vintage Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
3. I know these cars like to upshift very late (compared to new cars). Is this adjustable at all?
5. Turn signals flash very fast. Where is the flasher? IS there a guide to which relay does what on the car? Or the fuses in the engine compartment?
6. On the fuel filler lid it says the rear tire pressures should be higher than the fronts. Really? Why?
Csaba, I'll try my shot at some that either aren't answered or you indicated the wrong answer:
3 - There is a rod from the transmission to the throttle linkage. Making the rod shorter makes shifts occur later and longer makes them occur sooner. Base adjustment is to take the rod off, and adjust it so it's neither being pulled nor pushed and put it back on, then adjust from there to your preference.

5 - This likely is a burnt out bulb, loose connection or improper wattage bulb. We've all been there and even if your turn signals look fine this can be an issue. For example, if one of your front amber bulbs isn't in tight or is in backwards it can either cross between the (+) for parking lights, or if reversed the lower-wattage park is used as turn and either could cause the issue. You'd be surprised how many people put these bulbs in backwards (anyone whose tail lights are blinding, or has one super-bright tail light, has put this bulb in backwards).

6 - Keep in mind these cars originally had bias-ply tires. The rear pressure was probably higher for better rear traction. I found that the best pressure for front AND rear performance and handling and ride-quality wise was about 33-35 PSI. These are very tall sidewall tires and lower pressures will result in way lower MPG and a "Washy" feeling on the highways but will help cushion bumps better.

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k