View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 AM

Unfortunately, it is what it is. Shops will mark up the price of parts. You can of course choose to take your business there or find someone else.

As far me as putting up with it? Well, I try to do my own work where I can and I have a wholesaler account so I get great pricing. But if there is something that's beyond my capability and I can't use my network of friends and family to help, then I guess I would be SOL. I could either take the car to a reputable shop and get the work done at their parts and labor rate or I can run the part to the Mexican outfit with the blazing music and taxi cabs parked outside and ask them to put it on. They'd probably put an alternator on for $50 bucks but could I trust them?

It's your choice at the end.

With that said, I'm no longer willing to defend this particular shop as definitely they did over charge you.

I have access to alldata which is used by shops to estimate labor. I made the effort to look at the labor rates. While they don't list anything earlier then 1983, I did check the labor rate on an 1986 560SEL which should be close enough.

It lists the labor rate for alternator as 1hr for new work or 0.7 hours for warranty. As they charged you 2.5 hours, they definitely over charged. Thanks for raising it.

Al

Last edited by alabbasi; 05-11-2013 at 01:57 AM.