View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATATEXAN View Post
@ Edward Wyatt. This car has been dead reliable including the road trip home (Ketchum, Idaho to san Antonio, Texas). I am the first guy to say a good, honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold. And I think this shop is technically competent. What I don't like is an out-of-town guy who is not a regular customer getting gouged because I had no alternative.
@ "$590 for an alternator and R & R," I believe you were as you put it "gouged." I agree that you were overcharged by a very wide margin. By exactly how much is the question....perhaps "double" may be correct if you knew what brand alternator, after figuring the unbelievable "2.5 hours" they charged you as well.

As I previously wrote; outside of the 2.5 hrs labor charge, without an itemized bill, you don't know what you're getting nor what you paid for. I take issue with the amount of labor charged too. BTW, what was their hourly rate? I find it hard to believe that it takes 2.5 hours to do an R & R.

Did you request or receive a complete written estimate before work was started on your car?