View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Control Freak

Got your email. You asked if you could jbweld the crack. I am replying to all so that the forum can see the answer.

Sorry but jbweld is not going to help you out here. These radiators have a nasty problem of splitting between the plastic and the metal. The different expansion rates for the two materials means that jbweld is not going to bond well.

I'm afraid replacement is the only safe option. Behr is the M-B original equipment supplier for radiators, so that is a good choice at half the price of "genuine M-B".

I would hate to see you stranded, or worse, with head damage, trying to get by with a patch. The OM603's aluminum head does not tolerate overheating well. Especially the original #14.

Was the crack a fatigue crack, or is is possible the radiator was struck with the fan blade? If it was a fan strike that unfortunately opens up another can of worms.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech