View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Name the odd sound! w115 gas

1969, w115 gas, no ac. Mystery sound!

Hello all, calling the vintage experts! Start up, car purrs, run around town 2-3 miles, park and I can hear another layer of sound, seems to come from up towards the front of the engine, seems to be more from the drivers side, hard to say for sure. Sounds like an extra clatter that increases with rpm, then smooths out at higher rpm. Here is the kicker, turn the car off, restart the car and that layer of sound is gone - every time. If I take it for a 20 min drive on the highway, return home, I don't usually here it. Seems to come after the car is mid temp maybe. Seems to come from the valves maybe, towards the front . . . Just hard to say. Valve clearances are spot on, I can't find any valve train parts loose or out of the ordinary.

Some of you vintage guys must have run into this????
Maybe I can post two Lund files, one with and without th odd sound.

Timing chain guides?
Distributor gear?

This bugs the heck out of me, I need to know what the heck this sound is! This is my only real worry that I can see/hear mechanically. You know how it is, when you drive a 43 year old car every day, and it's your baby, you are tuned into every nuance and sound - this random sound/issue is making me crazy, LOL. I just want to fix it if I can, I don't want any surprises down the road (so to speak)

Good luck solving this one, looking forward to the help.