View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Dieseldiehard

well, I called a wrecking yard where I've done business in the past and asked them if they wanted it to give me $1 for title transfer and take it away. Owner said he would call me back within an hour. No response. So I stopped by a friend who has scrapped cars over the years and was given a tel# 1-800-346-0169 which is operated by something called Copart. I had been told they pay $200 for a scrapper so armed with that and knowing nothing about the organization I called.
After answering a few questions, including the model, whether it was a diesel or gas engine and VIN# the man asked me how much I wanted to get from the car. I informed him the engine and trans were out and it was damaged and bought back from my Ins co as a salvage car but I would like to see $200 from it. He said he would offer $210 would I take that and I was happy to say come and get it!
A tow has been scheduled for next week but by now the corner lens are out, the drivers seat with Lumbar support is out and stored at home and most anything that was bolted down (AC fan, climate fan, GP relay, ABS wheel sensor and cable, radiator, heater pump, antenna, climate control module has been removed. I replaced the steering wheel (nice leather) with an old worn one.
The Battery was removed and was sitting along side the car on private property but someone grabbed it while I was away for less than 45 minutes Vultures are everywhere! I'll chalk that up as a loss because it was only a couple of years old. Maybe the thief will drop it on his foot or something
I transferred about a quarter tank of diesel out of it into my 300TD and I'm done!
May it R.I.P.