View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
>- Trigger points - are they original?
I don't know. Visually they look good and I tested them as per the dwell procedure outlined in this forum and they passed. I do have 2 spare sets, so I could try one of those.
By dwell method, I presume you mean the angle that each set of points stays open or closed? Can't really see this being your problem, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
>- Coil - did you install new coil with the Pertronix or is it just replacing points? Perhaps coil is breaking down?

I used a new Bosch blue coil I had laying around. It would be easy to swap it out for another one and see what happens.
I presume you wired Pertronix just as a points replacement if you are still using a Bosch Blue coil? That would mean that the MB switchgear is still in place.

Hard to see switchgear working at low speed yet being affected by engine load. Check if the red wire to the Pertronix is from 12V (ignition switch) side of 0.4ohm resistor. Needs a good voltage supply and some say it makes a difference. If you don't have a separate ground wire from distributor casing, adding one may also help.

Rest of stuff sounds as though it is good.

Have you checked vacuum at idle? It's interesting to advance timing with vac gauge attached until you get max (18" +/- ?), then back of just a little (should be around 14-16") then recheck advance at different speeds with timing light.

What would happen if car has a vacuum leak. Would that affect high speed performance? Too much air for amount of fuel being injected? No experience with this myself.

Last edited by Graham; 05-28-2013 at 11:08 AM.