View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Vintage Moderator

Sounds like your trigger points may be "Floating" at higher RPMs. There's some type of float by the sound be it trigger points, valve springs or something else. Are both valve springs installed on each valve and are they broken or weak at all?
There are some other potential causes:

> Wrong wires or wrong plugs. Are your wires resistance wires, or do they have resistance ends? If so please don't use resistance plugs. A set of 8 non-resistor plugs could solve the issue. I had a similar issue (it wasn't as bad as what you describe but I was lacking the push-you-in-the-seat kickdown power on resistor plugs).
Bosch 7505 Spark Plug | eBay

Sadly, most suppliers no longer carry the non-resistor plugs so you can also go with non-resistor wires to make up for that. The wires should be solid-core, the boots you can't get (to my knowledge) without resistors BUT you can get them in 1k ohm variance vs the default 5k variance, which can help recover that lost energy. You can call the classic center or Pelican for the best fit. I am unsure of the actual ohm value of the ones below but they're chrome, the stock have brass coverings which are 5k (I've seen the chrome on the 560SEL with 1k).
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SE Sedan - Ignition - Page 1

The 560 ones are here and ARE a different part number:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/3482/MBZ_3482_ELIGNT_pg1.htm#item4

Previous:
1972 280SE 4.5
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited "Hefe", 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo "Jeepy", 2006 Charger R/T "Hemi"
1999 Chrysler 300M - RIP @ 221k