View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM

So I did lose my mind and bought it...now come the questions...

W108 People,

Car is in the garage drying out after a long sordid time outdoors...things are progressing. Quick recap:

1972 280SE 4.5, Papyrus White/Blue Leather, sunroof,floor shift, 69K documented miles, one owner, all service records. Purchased for $500.

Major issues:
1. Runs rough but runs. Has died a couple of times, would not start, pushed it back into the garage, then strangely started fine the next morning. Runs better in park, worse in R or D but is drivable and shifts fine when it goes....planning on replacing plugs, wires dist., etc. to start. Fuel system appears recently attended to (new rubber lines), but will most likely drop fuel tank at some point.

Q: Should I just go to Petronix now?

2. Rust in a few places...a little is on the front of the rockers, but currently only surface. Will treat, sand and primer. Will POR-15 trunk...did this on the wife's 450SL and worked great. Floor good except for Passenger rear...it is rotting. Looks like the "coating" on the bottom cracked and moisture took its toll...sadly common I imagine. Will treat entire inside of floorpan when I replace the rear seat.

Q: Have been looking for floorpan parts and not sure where to get them...I assume it is best to get a stock piece, but a good metalfab pro should be able to fix it, right? Is the classic center the best place to find floor sheetmetal? Do I go cut up a 108 in a junkyard (assuming I can find one)?

Q: Sunroof. Kind of scared to open, are they prone to fail? I realize this is a crap shoot of sorts, but I'd like to get it functional and lube it, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help,

John
2010 Mazda CX-9 (Sensible Transportation)