View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Rough shift??? Check this.

In preparation for the month long trip to AZ, I changed the oil & filter on the 560. While the oil was draining I did a pretty thourough check of everything I could while the car was on ramps.

The car has always had a bit of a stout shift, not banging hard, but stout. I decided I would attempt a little vacuum modulator adjustment.

While trying to work off the rubber cap of the modulator, I accidently bumped the vacuum line. With the slightest touch, the line separated from the connector. Close inspection of the rubber connector found it intact but very hard. I replaced the rubber connector and finished changing oil.

Once finished, I went for a short ride, shifts much smoother. Came home and opted to adjust the modulator only one notch counter clockwise. Test drive showed shifts were even smoother.

Moral of the story - check that little rubber connector at the modulator before making any adjustment. Replace if cracked, worn or cooked hard as bakelite. Shoot, in hindsight, I'd say replace it on GP if you're in the area.
Mike Tangas
'73 280SEL 4.5 (9/72)- RIP
Only 8,173 units built from 5/71 thru 11/72

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.