View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Ken Downing

The 92 cars made a big deal about using Mercedes Power Steering fluid.. Nowever if you read the fine print it also said you can use ATF.. I forgot what brand they said...

Mercedes and many other companys have found that making you think you can only use their oils and other fluids makes them more money.. Sad thing is all these companys go out for low bid on these fluids.. That is to say.. there is no Mercedes oil company or honda oil company or kawasaki oil company ECT.. I have run into this on my motorcycles and cars both..

The power steering pump on the cars are the same pump that they have been using from the 60s... and we used ATF in them for 40 years.. and I have ran them as much as 700 thousand miles on one 300 D with ATF and only replaced one seal because it was weeping.. I also run ATF in the front forks of my bikes and have for 40 years.. and never lost a bushing or seal.. But now that bike companys have come out with their own oils..... loosing bushings and seals are common.. And I have started to hear that lots of people are starting to have power steering box problems and pump problems using Mercedes power steering oil.. they are wearing out early.. I have to wonder why...

Can you use ATF in the power steering.. Yes.. Is it better???? I have no clue.. You can also drop by your local farm store and pick up hydrolic fluid and use it.. its clear like the Mercedes fluid whitch is also Hydrolic fluid as that is what the system is...

Ken