View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:11 PM

My Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975300D View Post
Just want to get some feedback to help me decide if I keep my 1975 300D.

First the pros:

The car has no rust. The paint is almost perfect. The engine and tranny are good as far as I know. I like the old diesel sound.

Now the cons:

The door locks leak and that means a big vacuum job. I certainly will not be ripping apart the doors to fix the problem. The AC compressor does not work. Don't know why. It needs a new AC switch vacuum valve at the very least. It needs about $1200 in upholstery stuffing. The washer nozzles are plugged. The fuel sender is shot. It is missing the wood veneer that goes on the dash and the insert on the top of the dash vent.

I like this car as far as cars go. But I don't care to work on cars in my spare time. Nor do I want to spend money on old cars that can never be recouped.

So the question is, are these old cars places where money goes to die? Is a 40 year-old Mercedes a car for a guy with significant disposable income to throw at it? Is it just a hobby?

If I fix what it needs, is it likely to need other expensive repairs down the road?

As a point of comparison, (not that I intend to use an old Mercedes as a daily driver) I bought a used 2003 Chevy Venture four years ago for work with 65,000 kms on it. I have driven it for another 100,000 kms in the last four years and have put $0 in it. 100,000 kms for Zero dollars. Gas, oil, wiper blades and some bulbs.

Frankly, that's the kind of car I like the most. Compared to that, where does a 1975 300D fall on the kilometer per dollar continuum?

I like my dad's old Mercedes. But I don't like it enough to put up with problems, especially problems that cost money. That being the case, should it stay or should it go?

Thanks
Yes, these cars are a labor of love.

I drive across the country in all of my old Mercedes, with IMO fewer worries than a modern car.

Bringing it back to good driving condition after serious neglect takes patience, persistance, and some money.
Breakdown; yes it has happened several times, always basic hose, belt, tire.
I am agressive on maintenence, especially on a car new to me.

IMO: Nothing (except heavy commercial) manufactured today has the durability of the car you have.
When it is sorted out, they are wonderful.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70