View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefalu View Post
I have seen the bracket most people use. On an M110 motor you do have to use washers etc because the MBZ compressor bracket bolted to the M110 head interferes with the "universal" York adapter bracket. The bracket I used is a perfect fit and does not interfere with anything.

The problem is the Sanden compressor clutch interferes with the fan blade. The Sanden clutch is longer than the York clutch and sticks out in front of the pulley further, so it hits the fan blade. You would have to add 3" of washers / bolts to hold the compressor clutch out of the way of the fan blade. Then you would probably be hitting the battery, and I don't like the idea of 3" of washers and bolts.

A lower profile fan blade would probably work, but at this point, in the absence of knowing of one, I think that making the tip of the fan blades "low profile" may be the simplest solution.
You'll obviously have a slightly smaller airflow due to the less efficient blades, but I don't think that's significant. What is significant however is the balance. The end of the blades sweep a pretty large radius at a significant speed. If you can take the exact same amount out of each blade I think you'll be fine... but that could be really tricky. Think of the amount of vibration a small out of balance condition on a driveshaft can have and then scale that effect up to a radial distance of the fan.

I just don't know how you would check the balance after the surgery.

So on that basis I say don't risk it.

Probably not worth it, but you might be able to relocate the batter to the trunk, a la the later 107s
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica