View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 05:52 PM

82 300SD throttle linkage and cruise control

Hello all
I recently picked up an 82 300SD in Florida with 146,000 miles on it. The mileage seems accurate based on service records and carfax and condition of interior wear parts.

I posted a question earlier today for a cruise control problem, but maybe there is more to it than just that.

Anyway, I have two problems that may be related.
1) The cruise does not work. The gent I bought it from thought it might be the cruise amp. He had one that he thought worked and gave it to me before I left for Wisconsin. Every so often, I tried to activate the cruise while on the trip from Florida to Wisconsin. It actually worked great for about 100 miles in Illinois. ( I know, maybe I should have stayed in Illinois!) But I stopped to get a bite to eat and it no longer worked after the meal. Today, a "warm" day in Wisconsin (my garage is full of other projects), I put the other amp in and the cruise still does not work. So I poked around under the hood. I found some bad vacuum lines on the vacuum switch on top of the valve cover and replaced those. The EGR was previously disconnected and the lines blocked off, FWIW. That did not get the cruise to work either.
2) While poking around, I noticed quite a bit of play in the accelerator linkage. It is tight, but there is a lot of pedal movement before the rpms rise. I also noticed that the pivot point bushing for the cruise control is quite sloppy. Can anyone point me to a place that has the procedure for setting all the linkage properly? I did a search for "300sd throttle linkage" and had 19 hits, none of which were very specific. After reading the 19 posts, I see that I could really screw up shift points by messing around. I would really like to find an exact methodology for adjusting the linkage. Do you think the linkage is related to the
cruise not working? On my previous post today, I said I had done a search in the archives and found a site for cruise control, but the site must be down becuase I can not access it. Someone replied who also could not get the site to come up.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You
Fred Konchan