View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 PM
https://fintail.org

I Can't Get The ALDA Off Of My 1980 W116 300SD With 617 Engine

After doing some research on this forum, I have decided to remove my ALDA, boost overload switch, and plug the hole in the intake manifold where the banjo bolt used to be. My banjo bolt broke and so did the vacuum tube. I also had the boost overload switch disconnected anyway, and will need the switch and mounting bracket for it out of the way so there is room to properly mount the manual heater valve.

I have a thin 24mm wrench, which I placed on the nut directly under the ALDA. I put an adjustable wrench on the 27mm nut underneath. The 27mm nut on the injection side turned easily and made the ALDA spin with it. It turned out several threads, but it seems like it will not pull out; it just spins.

I know the nut on the injection pump side isn't supposed to come out anyway, but I have been trying for hours to turn the wrench on the 24mm nut on the ALDA side counterclockwise, while simultaneously turning the 27mm nut on the injection pump side clockwise. They will not move at all in relation to each other.

I jammed the adjustable wrench against the metal stop next to the plastic valve next to it (which I had to move out of the way), and used all my strength to try to turn the 24mm wrench counterclockwise. All that happened is I rounded off the nut on the ALDA side. I even used Caterpillar penetrating oil to see if that would help.

There just seems to be no way to get the ALDA loose from the injection pump coupling. I even tried hitting the ALDA with a hammer, but there is really not enough room because there is always some sort of hose, tube, or pipe in the way. I tried using a large C-clamp to hold the ALDA, but it was awkward and there was not enough room to work.

This is really frustrating. I'm about ready to take a rotary tool and cut off the ALDA so I can get a socket or something over the nut on the ALDA side.

If I ever do get that ALDA off, I want to use a cap of some kind to cover the hole.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles