View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
Your conclusion that he's an idiot is based upon the reaction of the courtroom spectators and the resulting loss of etiquette due to the generated laughter.

I'm quite sure he had absolutely no inclination or belief that such an act would result in hyesterics by the gallery. The "slap" was hardly significant and it occurred exactly at the point where the judge congratulated the performance of the attorney.

The judge reacted to the behavior of the gallery and penalized the individual because of the response of the gallery. If the gallery did not respond, the judge would not have acted..........be sure of that.

So, we have a judge that makes a ruling based upon the response of the spectators. How fair is that?
My conclusion that he is an idiot is the same conclusion that people that show up in a wife beater and swim trunks are also idiots when they appear in court without respect for the rules of decorum, not the laughing of the spectators in this particular video, though obviously the laughing was exactly why he was punished as he was, for turning a serious court matter into a mockery. Id say his punishment was a bit severe for that, but then again, the object lesson should prevent similar mockeries in the future. "remember when XXXX slapped his lawyers a$$? dont do that, remember what happened to him"

You go into court, you dress appropriately and act appropriately, and sports culture butt slaps have no place there, especially in front of the judge, and especially for the reason he is there in the first place. The reactions of the crowd in the video have nothing to do with my opinion.

I would have hesitated to even touch my lawyer on the shoulder, let alone slap his a$$ were I there under similar circumstances. I would want to do nothing that put me in ill favor with the judge, especially a female judge, and especially for a battery charge.