View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
CPA/Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
The car itself is fine.

Here's where it sounds like I'm prying into your business, but I'm just sharing experience with you and there is no need to comment back.

IMHO and also in my experience, the most important thing about a kids first car is that it not be just handed to them for nothing. Make them kick in money, if there is no way for them to do that, make them paint the house, or some SERIOUS project before they can have the car, and make them COMPLETE their end of the bargain whatever it is, before they can leave the home place with the car.

I feel very strongly about this. If you don't, that is totally your business and I'm not trying to pry into it. I'm only trying to offer a suggestion.

You probably already have this all worked out, but I can't resist offering the advice.

To the car itself, make SURE that you consider the top three criteria for used car evaluation. They are:

1. condition
2. Condition
3. CONDITION

Best of luck with it.
good points Larry. understood and appreciated. sometimes as parents we want the best for our kids NOW and we forget the long term big picture.

If I pay for this and he has no skin in the game, well, you know the rest.

I think he needs to bag groceries at the Food Lion at minimum wage first .

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for opening my eyes.

What the heck was I thinking? When I was 17, I drove a Corolla and RESENTED the rich kids who drove BMW's in high school. Now, I can afford such BMW's and I forget what it was like. If I do this, I will be putting him in that group of kids I resented. dang...

Nice car the 323i but no thanks!

Thanks to this forum for helping me sort this out in my mind. When I was looking at cars on CL, of course, I gravitate to the cars I know but this is the wrong car for my kid.

He needs to fix mowers in a hot garage like me. Thanks guys.