View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyphilly View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will check the windshield seals again, but they looked ok for the most part.

WHunter, thanks for the link to your rust repair project. My 300D has a lot of rust around the rear quarter panels, with the right one going through the trunk floor. I wonder if this is playing a role in the water leakage. I've priced out a pro repair, but I can't see paying $1500 to repair a hobby car I bought for $700.
I just got done making my 300D water tight, it was about a month ordeal.

The window seals are deceiving. They will look fine, but they can be leaky as all get out! My front windshield seal had been replaced before, but it was a non genuine MB seal, and it looked great, but needed some work to get water tight. I ended up going to the auto-parts store and got this stuff called flowable silicone, it's very light silicone for sealing windows. There's all kinds of debates as to whether it should have to be used, how long it last, etc. But short of replacing your window seals with genuine MB seals, this is the next best bet. My window seals leaked before, but with some strategic water pouring and finding leaky spots, they don't now.

You need to watch and observe to all of the spots were water drains when it rains.

One spot to check is behind the decorative gutter trim on the C-Pillar. There is a recess in the body where the sunroof drain drains out of, and water flows through there as well with rain. I found the bottom spot of this body recess had a little rust hole on it which would allow water to leak down and it would flow some into the trunk, and some down under the side of the back seat onto the floorboard. Did a nice rust treatment and patch, and no more leaks there!