View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
Stretch;

Could you label the picture of the parts and where measurements should be taken? Thanks again.

John
Ideally the end play on the intermediate shaft should be checked when the timing device and the injector pump isn't fitted. So big job...

...in realistic terms I think you are probably better off pushing the timing device when fitted by hand and measuring the end float with a DTI. Place the probe of the dti on the bolt that holds the timing device in place. This should be a fixed part!

This isn't the way it is meant to be done but hopefully it will give enough of an idea if everything is OK. Simulate the effect of the vacuum pump piston springs by pushing with an estimated weight of about 40 - 50 kg against the timing device. Try pulling the timing device out of the engine - if the measured motion on the DTI is more than the specified 0.05 to 0.12 mm then you need to check again and perhaps you then have to think whether you are going to take off the timing chain, the IP and the timing device to check it properly...

Does this picture help with the names of the parts?

Attached Thumbnails
More than you are likely to ever want to know about OM61X piston vacuum pumps-om617-timing-device-intermediate-shaft-parts-labels.jpg  
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!