View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 PM
High Maintenance

I wrote a similar thread a few years ago. When I spend money on my car, or when something goes wrong, I tend to feel negative about it. When I'm driving it, or admiring it in the garage, I feel very positive.

It is absolutely a labor of love. It makes very little economic sense to be driving one of these cars, particularly if you are NOT a DIY'er.

I bought mine because it was very cheap, and I fondly remembered my uncle's 220D and what a great car it was. I thought it'd be a great car to have as a project, and to learn about working on cars.

I soon discovered I really DON'T like wrenching; I like detailing and modifying, but not cursing over bolts I can't physically break loose or screwing something up because I didn't know how to install it properly.

I've done a lot of work myself, nonetheless, and I've also paid a few thousand in parts and labor. Still, it's a relatively cheap car to own and drive. It is NOT my daily driver, but it gets driven at least a few times a month, so I try to keep it operational at all times, in case my daily driver needs repairs. My 240D also needs the seats restuffed, the vacuum system fixed, the heater fan replaced, and a dozen other repairs, many of which I can't or won't attempt myself. And I have no one who wants to help me. But I know someday I'll get to them.

I set money aside for car maintenance fund in a separate savings account; it could be also used to save up for a new car, but I don't want a new car, nor do I want to get a car loan. When I have extra money, I work on some of those non-urgent repairs.

I consider that the brakes must always work, even if I'm not driving the car. A lot of other stuff can wait, and it does.

I love the looks of my W115, how it handles and how it sounds. I have a garage so if I happen to be broke, it'll have a nice place to stay until I have the money to fix it. I can't imagine getting rid of it and yes I DO love it and take care of it the best I am able to.

My theory is, if you have a place to store it, and have the money to license, insure, fuel and keep it in good enough condition to drive it at least every month for 50 miles, keep it as your 2nd car, and repair other things as you have time & money. Otherwise you might someday regret selling it. On the other hand, if you don't truly love it, by all means sell it to someone who will.