View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
Thanks for posting Hat. I really enjoyed it... however, I must admit I was a bit disappointed. I thought I was going to see some aerial gunnery.

The P51 is probably my favorite military aircraft too. I would love to get the chance to fly one. Problem is, even if I won that 500 Million lottery instead of Hat, it is a single seat, single control plane. A number of pilots died just trying to learn to fly one.

A WWII pilot friend of mine said that after basic flight and dual in an AT6, they handed them the manual for the P51. They told them to study the manual and go fly the plane. Several people died from his group doing just that.

For today's pilots, even some really high time pilots, even if they had the cash to fly one, what would keep them out of it, at least until they did some training, is the fact that the P51 is a tailwheel plane. There are lots of experienced pilots that could figure out how to handle it in the air without much trouble, if they could get it airborne without ground looping it first. The vast majority of my time is tailwheel, so they need to move me to the front of the line.

All that said, I sure would like to get the instruction and the chance.
ah the taildragger.my dad had a cessna 170b when i was a kid.we used to fly all over the place to flight breakfasts. he sold it in 77 to the guy that was running the airport,he also did cropdusting.one day he had a guy come in and wanted to rent it for the day.was asked if he knew how to fly a taildragger.guy says no problem,piece of cake.so it was like o.k. he ya go.guy drove around in circles on the tarmac for about 5 minutes shut it down came back in and asked for something different.i always wished i would have gone thru flight schooling and solo'ed in that plane,but i had other things on my mind back then.