View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM

New here. Just purchased a Fin Tail. Many questions!

Hello everyone!

After missing my 1958 180b for quite some time I came across a great deal on this 1966 230s Fintail that im very excited to start working on. Ill do a introduction thread later to the point:

1966 w111 Mercedes 230s Inline 6 dual Zenith Carbs

Q: The car was driven up until about 3 years ago when the man got ill and passed away. I put some fresh gas, a battery in it and it started, didn't run very well but enough to load it up in my trailer. Got it home, fogged the carburators with amsoil power foam, put a new fuel filter on and it started running awesome! So I put about 40 miles on the car just driving around all day. All the sudden it doesn't want to idle. If your giving it throttle, it revs up fine and drives as it should but once you let off it just dies.

A: Carb rebuild? I'm sure there's trash in the carb now, they weren't oo ahh lookin when you took the intake off. I'm horrified to even try it. I can't find anything detailed on synchronizing them together and I also know they have something to do with the shifting.

Q: The car is over heating I believe. My temp gauge does not work so I need to go buy a aftermarket one for now. Being Im in S. Florida, I just took the thermostat out for the time being because it was quite aweful looking and sticking. There is some water movement in the radiator but I flushed out just about everything I could as far as the cooling system goes and a lot of trash came out of that radiator.
Anways, a lot of steam comes out of the overflow hose after driving around town for a bit. Could this be something with the cap or maybe it is over heating? I plan on taking the radiator off and going to have it cleaned out and re-soldered being there are pin holes around the top tank at the seam.
A: Going to have the radiator repaired. Anything else I should do?

Q: What's considered top speed for this car? I swear those RPM's are turning at about 55. I need to get a RPM gauge because im sure its close to about 3000 rpms at that speed. Im aware it starts off in 2nd from a stand still unless you put it in the 2 position which would technically be first.
A: You tell me! lol

Q: When coming to a stop, the transmission every now and then will feel like its in neutral. then you bump the throttle while your sitting there and itll fall into gear (2nd gear I guess since that's what it starts off at).

What could this be?

Anyways I look forward to seeing some advise! Any preference on where to get the carb kits? Is it worth the 83$ a kit from pelican vs. a 40$ kit on say Ebay?