View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM

Smile

Clayton, I'm in the same move! I had a 1959 180a Ponton for more than 15 years, then sold it (I was joung and did not know what I was doing so I dold it! WRONG!!) so I have good memories so I looked for one like the one I had but found a 220b.
I bought a 1962 220b two months ago, and I can tell you that initially when looking to for the car, my base line was, get a car that looks complete (emblems, moldings, sheet metal, etc) and have the vehicle running. Finally I found one and I bought it.
Then my project started first to assure safety, so I went in to the brakes. (when barking it pull to the right, found a line plugged, fix!). Engine (rebuilding the two solex carburetors, done), remove the camshaft cover and it looks OK), After this work I was able to drive the vehicle and moves great. Of course mny minor issues.
Now the car is in major work, because I remove the complet front suspension, found out a lot of rust and dirt (muddy), so many components will be replaced, so the project is for a long time, but I think this is probably the best Hobby you can get.
In the mean time the main heater module was removed to get all the leaks fix.)
One of the greatest things I did to the car when I got it was, to get the transmision shifting lever to work smoothly like a BM, so all the mechanism was redone and now works great!
After all the mechanical work is done (probably will take me more than two years I will look in to the body and intiriors)
It will be great to share experiences so we can learn from others and /or to know that someone is doing a very similar project.

Congratulations
"Get something redone/fix/rebuild/restore sure is rewarding"

Pille