View Single Post
Old 12-29-2002, 07:51 PM
PeterG

Quote:
As I said, when I had the problem with that cylinder missing, I kept messing with it, and it finally started hitting.
First question what did you mess with to stop the miss?
Ok, I will add my own .02. I bought my car after it had been sitting for a long time. Bad fuel, the whole bit. After dealing with just getting it started it ran good sometimes, and somtimes not. Very random. I flushed the fuel system, had the tank cleaned, reset the valves and checked the timing. Everything seemed fine. So I decided to go back to basics. I started to crack the lines to the injectors, and to the pump while it was running. It took a while to figure it out, but no#2 injection port from the pump appeared to be sporatic. In other words sometimes it would squirt, and somtimes not. I checked several times and sometimes it seemed fine and other times I had nothing. I removed the check valve at the pump and looked at it very closely, but did not see anything that would cause it to not seat. I switched it with another check valve from another cylinder. but had the same results. I finally did what you should not do unless you tie off the fuel line to the pump, as you will tie the fuel system to the oil system and if you have a full tank, remember the theory water seeks its own level, the fuel will try to do the same. I removed the no2# cylinder from the IP pump after carefully marking the adjustment position. I exercised the throttle while watching the I.P piston. It is suppose to turn CW. It did, but when I grabbed it, I could stop it from turning. it was no longer connected to the rack in the I.P. The ball on the end of the control sleeve was gone. It was random as the rack would contact the control sleeve every once in a while. That is why it would run good sometimes, and other times smoke like crazy, or just miss. You could be idling, and that I.P cylinder could be positioned for full speed. If you want more info on this I think I posted pictures about a year ago. Incidently, the part that broke was $12.00 but the whole pump had to be dismantled. I did it myself as I did not want to pay $500.00 to 1K which I was quoted several times.

PeterG

79 300SD 80?K As I said, when I had the problem with that cylinder missing, I kept messing with it, and it finally started hitting.